[Dovecot] Documentation

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Fri Jul 22 17:57:19 EEST 2005

On Mon, 2005-07-18 at 20:03 +0200, Enrique wrote:
> I therefore urge you to suggest what I should look at and write about.  Do
> you have any ideas about how the documentation should be organized? some
> questions are not strictly dovecot or even imap questions, yet they arise
> quite naturally for an administrator that is migrating to dovecot or to
> imap in general.

I've been thinking of doing some major wiki restructuring some day
before v1.0 release. So that in main page there would be something like:

1. Information about IMAP, POP3, SMTP and mail servers in general
2. Installing and setting up a simple Dovecot installation
3. Full guide to setting up a new system
4. Migration from existing systems
 - other servers
 - mbox <-> maildir
 - pop3 -> imap
5. Troubleshooting
6. Supported features / current status / TODO

Troubleshooting should start with generic "How do I find out what the
problem is?" and then several subsections with specific problems.

I'm not sure if any of this helps with what you wanted to write though,
since it is going to be a pretty large change.. :)

> I have not (yet) found out anything about the CONTROL= part of the mail
> environment. Should I write something about it? Is it usefull for system
> administrators to know about it? What is it?

It'd be useful to know since with maildir that's pretty much the only
way to reliably implement filesystem quota (set Dovecot's control and
index files to a partition without quota enforcing).