[Dovecot] Double Emails

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Fri Jul 22 18:11:32 EEST 2005

On Tue, 2005-07-19 at 11:55 -0400, Matt Juszczak wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I originally posted this on postfix's mailing list but then realized
> that this COULD be a pop3 server problem since that downloads and
> deletes mail.  This has only been happening since I upgraded from .99 to
> 1.0-7 ...
>
> Our users have been reporting double messages in their inbox, as well as
> emails that they deleted a long time ago reappearing.  The only thing in
> my maillog is a bunch of:
>
> mbox sync: UID inserted in the middle of mailbox /home/sdf/mail/Level3
> (6293 > 3)

When that error happens, it recreates the message UIDs. Those UIDs are
also used in POP3's UIDs, so if they change that could explain why the
messages are downloaded again (for users who use "leave mail on server"
option).

What Dovecot version do you use? 1.0-7 doesn't exist, maybe 1.0-test78?

Do you use NFS? Are there other software modifying mboxes than Dovecot
and Postfix?