[Dovecot] dovecot pop3s delivers new messages as old (unread) messages ...

James Sun jamjazzy at gmail.com
Fri Jul 22 18:15:39 EEST 2005

On 7/22/05, Timo Sirainen <tss at iki.fi> wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-07-18 at 22:21 -0700, James Sun wrote:
> > I just set up dovecot on fedora core 3 with only pop3s protocol
> > enabled.  On my client machine, I use fetchmail to get the mail and
> > then go through procmail and eventually ready by mutt.
> >
> > Everything seems to work fine, except that all new emails are marked
> > old unread emails (i.e., marked with 'O' flag instead of 'N').  This
> > is annoying because some open source lists are so large that I really
> > rely on the "N" flag to read my emails.
>
> With 1.0-stable/test releases you can set "pop3_no_flag_updates = yes"
> which fixes this. No way to fix 0.99.x though.

But why does 0.99 does a header rewrite before delivering the mails?
It does not seem to be right behavior.  I wonder 1) if everybody else
seeing the same behavior 2) if not, what are the conditions triggering
this re-write?

I scanned through the source code and realized the *huge* difference
between .99 and 1.0.

I built 1.0.  When I ran it, it exited immediately,   Client cannot
connect to the server.  Is there anything I need to do in dovecot.conf
file.  Currently I just copied the sample conf and turned on the
protocols.  No other changes.

Another plead:  Anybody has built dovecot 1.0 for FC?  That would save
my struggle I am having right now.

Jun