[Dovecot] 1.0-test79

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Sat Jul 23 00:04:01 EEST 2005

On Fri, 2005-07-22 at 15:42 -0500, Nicholas Riley wrote:
> and the end of the resynchronization...
>
> dovecot: Jul 22 15:38:05 Error: IMAP(njr): mbox sync: UID inserted in the middle of mailbox /usr/home/njriley/mail/2005-05 (218590 > 11)
> dovecot: Jul 22 15:38:05 Error: IMAP(njr): mbox sync: UID inserted in the middle of mailbox /usr/home/njriley/mail/2005-04 (228396 > 9)
> dovecot: Jul 22 15:38:05 Error: IMAP(njr): UIDs broken with partial sync in mbox file /usr/home/njriley/mail/2005-06
> dovecot: Jul 22 15:38:05 Error: IMAP(njr): UIDs broken with partial sync in mbox file /usr/home/njriley/mail/2005-07
> dovecot: Jul 22 15:38:07 Error: IMAP(njr): X-IMAPbase uid-last unexpectedly points outside mbox file /usr/home/njriley/mail/2005-05
> dovecot: Jul 22 15:38:08 Error: IMAP(njr): X-IMAPbase uid-last unexpectedly points outside mbox file /usr/home/njriley/mail/2005-05
>
> It'd be nice to have an "error message decoder" on the wiki or
> something.  I really have no idea if I should be concerned or not.

These really shouldn't happen. Looking at your old mails you seem to
have had similar problems before too. So you're running FreeBSD and
everything is stored on local filesystems, no NFS? Client is OSX's Mail?
10.4?

Can you reproduce these problems? If you can, copy the mbox elsewhere,
make it break with these errors, then try diffing the old mbox and the
new one, did they change?

And from your other mail:

"First, I couldn't get my mailbox read/write locks,
formerly set to "flock" to work at all; it just hung forever.  So I
replaced it with "dotlock fcntl", and now things seem to work"

It shouldn't make a difference if it's flock or dotlock/fcntl if Dovecot
is the only thing changing the mbox, so I can't think of a reason why
flock would be hanging.. You could check with ktrace. Your local
delivery agent should be using the same locking of course. What LDA are
you using? Is anything else ever touching these mboxes?

All this somehow sounds like a locking related problem. I've been
running some pretty heavy load tests with multiple sessions
reading/writing the same mbox, so I don't think this is at least a
generic Dovecot problem.

Another possibility would be that there is something in those mboxes
that Dovecot really doesn't like and it breaks every time with them. I
could try if they'd break with me. You could put them through
http://dovecot.org/tools/mboxcrypt.pl to hide most of the data and send
them to me?