[Dovecot] inotify support in dovecot

Johannes Berg johannes at sipsolutions.net
Mon Jul 25 10:37:36 EEST 2005

Hi,

> I note that dovecot supported inotify from -test77, and now the Linux kernel
> supports it starting from linux-2.6.13-rc3.  So in theory I should be set to
> go.  I'm using an -mm kernel, and it was built with inotify, on FC4/devel.

I suppose I'll reply since I wrote the code ;)

> checking for poll... yes
> configure: error: inotify requested but not available, check for existence of
> <linux/inotify.h>
> /bin/sh ./config.status --recheck

Makes sense, you need the inotify userspace header.

> What is required for inotify to be recognised and built into dovecot?  I've
> tried copying the header from linux-2.6/include/linux/inotify.h to the
> /usr/include/linux directory, but that didn't help - and seems wrong to do anyway.

Sounds about right -- that particular header is safe for userspace. But
if that didn't help then I don't know what's going wrong. Check
config.log please.

Also, please try the header from
http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/rml/inotify/headers/

johannes