[Dovecot] Documentation

Chris Green chris at areti.co.uk
Wed Jul 27 12:20:16 EEST 2005

On Tue, Jul 26, 2005 at 10:39:35PM -0400, Kris Boyle wrote:
> - why do you think an IMAP solution is the way for you?
>   - provide a couple of scenarios where IMAP is the right solution and
>     maybe a couple where it is the wrong solution:
>     - 1 - external access to a work IMAP server
>     - 2 - small home network where it has become a PIA to have email
>           POP'd down to local clients and then it resides on one
>           computer and the email is inaccessible from another computer.
>     - 3 - small business which is kinda like (2) but the business needs
>           to backup all email (incoming and outgoing) for accountability
>           reasons.
>     - 4 - web access to local server email
>           - doe's the implementer understand firewalls and DMZ's
>     - 5-998 - put your email situation in here (and I don't think I
>               have reserved enough numbers ;-)
>     - 999 - IMAP is cool and I am going to do it no matter what ;-)

One very important factor here is what mail client (MUA) the
prospective user is going to use.  One of IMAPs weaknesses in my
opinion is that clients (and servers) interpret the rules in different
ways such that some clients don't work well with some servers.  There
isn't yet one 'right' way.  If there are going to be multiple mail
clients then the issue gets even more complex.

--
Chris Green (chris at areti.co.uk)

    "Never ascribe to malice that which can be explained by incompetence."