[Dovecot] Dovecot, Postfix, Mysql and Virtual Users

rac at noidea.us rac at noidea.us
Wed Jul 27 20:41:19 EEST 2005

> I have been reading up :
> http://wiki.dovecot.org/moin.cgi/DovecotPostgresql to create virtual users
> who can access the email.
>
> Can i follow these steps with a few changes to get to use mysql instead of
> Postgresql ?
>
> Also i dont know if u all can help.. but i have tried to do :
>
> SASL2 authentication configuration in main.cf(Postfix):
> smtpd_recipient_restrictions = permit_sasl_authenticated,
> permit_mynetworks, reject_unauth_destination
> smtpd_sasl_auth_enable = yes
> smtpd_sasl_local_domain = domain.org
> smtp_sasl_auth_enable = no
>
> And when i start postfix with these settings i get an error saying"invlaid
> boolean" .. can anyone help ?
>
> Regards,
> Andre

One thing you will probably need is the pam_mysql lib.  If you're using an
RPM-based system, you can get them from
http://www.noidea.us/easyfile/index.php?folder=5 where I rebuilt the old
MDK  packages (v0.4.7) with pam_mysql 0.5.  I've got the original package
available as well as the SRPM and RPM for 0.5.

I'm running Postfix, Dovecot, Squirrelmail and Maia/Amavisd-new/ClamAV
against MySQL right now for ~8 virtual users and 7 virtual domains, with a
little hacking on Postfixadmin to create MySQL-crypt and MD5 passwords so
that Postfix, Dovecot, SASL and Maia can all authenticate correctly.

I've been meaning to write this up into a HOWTO-doc, but I'm a) waiting on
Dovecot 1 final, and b) waiting to get some new hardware to rebuild my
mailserver.  I'll eventually get this doc written, but if you need any
other info in the meantime, I can pull my configs and see what I have to
offer.