[Dovecot] Index File Permissions - Perhaps feature Request

Marc Perkel marc at perkel.com
Wed Jul 27 21:00:03 EEST 2005

Trying an experiment to put the index files on a different volume than
the mailbox files The idea being that the mailbox files are in a limited
space slow raid1 array and the index files are somewhere else that is
fast and not backed up. I'm using a virtual file structure as follows:

/vhome/%d/home/%n

The index files are set to:

/nobackup/indexes/%d/%n

Upon startup it created the index files correctly making all the missing
directories. But I have an issue with the permissions. The problem is
that it works for the first user, but the second user will have a
permission error on the /%d/ level because of the 700 permissions.

So - I would like to specify that directories that are automatically
created have 770 permissions instead of 700, and, that perhaps I might
want to ser the group permissions to 660 instead of 600.

This might make Dovecot more ready for shared mailboxes in the future.