[Dovecot] Preventing IMAP folder removal?

John R. Dennison jrd-dovecot at gerdesas.com
Wed Jul 27 22:46:37 EEST 2005

Is there a way to configure Dovecut (version: dovecot-stable) to prevent
the removal of an IMAP folder?

We are planning on rolling out the @Mail webmail client to our user
base in the next few weeks.  This package has an internal Spam folder
that we use to deliver spam into to allow our users to get to both their
main mailbox and also their spam repository in one location.

We are a Maildir shop, so the folder appears as:

'~username/Maildir/..Spam'

We want to use a sym-link to point '..Spam' to a location on another
filesystem.  Our testing shows that dovecot will happily follow a
sym-link properly and no badness occurs as a result.

Our concern, however, is that a user will attempt to remove their
Spam folder, which will break the symlink and the next time a
spam message is delivered the folder will be re-created as a
directory and will reside on the same filesystem as their Maildir.

Preventing the removal of the folder would be the easiest solution.

If such a restriction is not already present in dovecot, might something
be added to allow admins to lock down removal of folders?

If this question has already been asked and answered on the list I
apologize - I did quickly browse some of the back list and did not
see a reference to the topic, but I admit, I may have missed it.

Thank you in advance,

							John

--
"I'm sorry but our engineers do not have phones."
As stated by a Network Solutions Customer Service representative when asked to

"My other computer is your windows box."
                                     Ralf Hildebrandt