[Dovecot] Documentation

Curtis Maloney cmaloney at cardgate.net
Fri Jul 29 03:05:07 EEST 2005

Jon Roma wrote:

> Curtis Maloney <cmaloney at cardgate.net> wrote:
>
>>> And then there's the whole joy of building Cyrus SASL that goes with
>>> building the IMSP/ACAP server. Yuck.
>
>> Why bother using Cyrus SASL when Dovecot has its own SASL implementation?
>
> This has nothing to do with using SASL to authenticate to Dovecot.
>
> Cyrus SASL is required to build Cyrus IMSP and ACAP, which use SASL to
> authenticate and which can be used by the Mulberry IMAP client to store
> address books, preferences, etc.

Wasn't the original context of this discussion writing an ACAP server as part of
Dovecot?

Or are you presenting the agonies of Cyrus SASL (which I've suffered and learned
from) as argument FOR adding ACAP to Dovecot?

Unfortunately, it seems ACAP fell by the wayside as too complicated, and LDAP
came along instead.  Pity there's not a good, clean OSS LDAP server around :/

--
Curtis