[Dovecot] [ot] Migration from pop3 to imapd

/dev/rob0 rob0 at gmx.co.uk
Mon Jun 6 05:27:30 EEST 2005

J Moore wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 03, 2005 at 08:03:46AM +1000, the unit calling itself Nigel Allen wrote:
>
>>When you are trying to learn, there is no such things as dumb questions.
>>
>>The people who refuse to ask questions are dumb.
>>
>>The people who abuse askers are just plain rude.
>>
>>Go get a coffee and take a few deep breaths - we all need to learn and
>>we learn by asking - not just by reading.
>
> :) I agree, but don't advocate this on the openbsd lists unless your
> shorts are fireproof  :)

I agree that the poster was a bit too harsh and abusive. But when
someone uses the phrase "production server" it's quite reasonable to
expect the questions to reflect a professional-level of understanding.
The post in question did not.

Personally I hesitate to post questions on mailing lists until after
having consulted the documentation. And I agree with the harsh poster
insofar as someone running a "production server" ought to know the
basics of TCP/IP and mail protocols.

The cost of free software is hard work and understanding. Free software
is not about freeloading.
     or "not-spam" is in Subject: header