[Dovecot] strip realms and force lowercasing of usernames?

Dan Hollis test3943395 at anime.net
Thu Jun 9 23:21:55 EEST 2005

On Thu, 9 Jun 2005, Andrew Hutchings wrote:
> Dan Hollis wrote:
> > Is it possible for dovecot to strip realms and force lowercasing of usernames?
> > We have a lot of dumb customers who try logging in to pop3 with crap like
> > UsERNAmE and bla at nonexistentdomain.com. All our usernames are lowercase
> > and we have no realms. Trying to get hundreds of customers to fix this is
> > hard and is a significant and costly support burden.
> > It would be nice if dovecot could handle this in some way.
> In your default_mail_env if you use %n instead of %u you will get the
> domains stripped.  As for lowercase that is a feature I would like to
> see, I will see if I can code it tonight.

No no no :-)

default_mail_env only specifies the _mailspool location_.

What I want is for dovecot to strip realms and force lowercase of
usernames _before passing them to pop3-login or pam for authentication_

So if a user tries to login as "SoMEuSERNAme at msn.com" it actually
authenticates them as "someusername". Stripping the realm and lowercasing
the name _before checking it against the passwd/shadow files_.

Other pop3 servers like teapop have explicit support for this.

-Dan