[Dovecot] multiple authentication mechanisms, many problems

Jani Karlsson jani.karlsson at corded.org
Tue Jun 14 13:59:09 EEST 2005

Dan Hollis wrote:
> that message comes from grsecurity. i guess gentoo uses that.

Gentoo hardned-kernel (grsecurity+pax+selinux), the Debian 64-bit is
running vanilla. It doesn't show the error, it just kills that process.

> anyway, RLIMIT_AS is the address space limit. dovecot's imap is trying to
> increase the limit from 512mb to 16gb for inexplicable reason.
>
> looks like a bug to me (any legitimate reason imap would ever need 16gb,
> let alone 512mb?)

Yeah, I wondered why tranferring small IMAP folders reguire nearly 16
gigabytes of RAM. Too bad those servers only have 2. Again dovecot gets
stuck until connection will timeout itself.

512MB is the limit in the dovecot-config so that it doesn't get on
rampage. Yet it apparently tries to do that.