[Dovecot] Re: master/config rewrite

Quest quest at lysator.liu.se
Wed Jun 15 09:02:14 EEST 2005

Timo Sirainen <tss at iki.fi> writes:

> I've finally got it to work, kind of .. It should allow you to log in,
> but several settings don't work yet and there are probably many bugs.
> Anyway, I thought I'd show this already in case someone is interested
> of looking how it works :)
>
> One thing I'm still wondering a bit is if I should show process names
> as:
>
> 32602 pts/19   S      0:00 dovecot/config
> 32603 pts/19   S      0:00 dovecot/log
> 32604 ?        Ss     0:00 dovecot
> 32606 ?        S      0:00 dovecot/imap-login
> 32607 ?        S      0:00 dovecot/auth -s 3

This is very lucid. Only argument I can see against is that solaris
uses /nn to mark number of threads on a process (eg prstat). My vote
will be on slashes before dashes any day.

> Or if I should name the binaries all as dovecot-config, dovecot-log,
> etc. One nice thing with the above is that it also shows imap and
> imap-login processes while grepping for dovecot.
>
> You can get the tarball from
> http://dovecot.org/tmp/dovecot-1.0-test67-mrewrite.tar.gz (it has all
> the test73 changes despite the name..)
>
> Example configuration file (with bare minimals) is at
> http://dovecot.org/tmp/dovecot.conf

I think it looks nice. Makes me think of master.cf in postfix.

[snip]
--
Anders "Quest" Qvist

Ye olde jungle proverb:
Even the Phantom must turn on the light to see what's in his goth wardrobe.