[Dovecot] Compressed maildir

Curtis Maloney cmaloney at cardgate.net
Thu Jun 16 02:28:30 EEST 2005

Marcus Rueckert wrote:
> hi,
>
> i think with you waste more space with not fully used clusters and
> stuff.
> e.g. i have:
> $ du -sh Maildir ; du -sh --apparent-size Maildir

I tried this... Solaris du doesn't appear to have --apparent-size..

I see your point, but my users have an unfortunate tendency to keep e-mails with
attachments (no matter how big a stick I wield), so there would be a definite
saving there.

Since several of my users have over 1GB of mail ('top' user is now around
1.6GB), I think there is a potential to save considerable space.

Besides... when was the last time you saw an e-mail below 512bytes?  There is
_some_ saving to be made, if not a lot.  But a little saving over a few million
e-mails?  Well, it all ads up.

--
Curtis Maloney
cmaloney at cardgate.net