[Dovecot] dovecot.index.cache 1/3rd of INBOX size

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Fri Jun 17 14:50:21 EEST 2005

On Fri, 2005-06-17 at 12:41 +0100, Chris Wakelin wrote:
> > Fixed in CVS. The mails weren't being marked as deleted in cache file
> > because of a simple mistake ("!=" -> "=="). So after the change the
> > files still won't get compressed immediately, but it'll work in future.
>
> Thanks! I've applied the fix (I think!) to dovecot-stable-20050617 and
> am now using it.

I should probably backport that too..

> My dovecot.index.cache is 5MB or so at the moment, and
> still seems to be growing, even when I delete lots of old messages.
> Presumably there needs to be 20% "deleted space" before anything will
> happen.

Right. so you'll need to grow and delete 1MB more :)

> Does it ever rebuild the cache from scratch in normal operation? What
> happens if a non-dovecot process deletes messages, do they ever get
> removed from the cache?

The external process doesn't delete the mail from dovecot.index file, so
Dovecot notices that it got deleted and deletes it from index and from
cache.

> Lastly, do you have a tool or utility to analyse the cache files so I
> can see how many messages/headers and how much "deleted space" there is?
>   "strings" isn't too reliable an analysis method ;)

Not really.. Wouldn't be too difficult to implement using mail-index.h
and mail-cache.h APIs though. Any volunteers? ;)

The cache file anyway heavily relies on index file. Without that there's
really know way of knowing what parts of the file belong to which mails
(or deleted mails).