[Dovecot] test73 not compiling with iconv?

Sean Porter dovecot at seanporter.com
Wed Jun 22 09:32:15 EEST 2005

I've recently upgraded from test53 to test73 from a source compile on
FreeBSD 5.3, and am getting some [BADCHARSET] errors in 73 that I
wasn't getting in 53 (specifically with Squirrelmail).

When I run one of Squirrelmail's built-in filters, I get the
following error:

ERROR: Could not complete request.
Query: SEARCH CHARSET ISO-8859-1 UNSEEN Subject {14} *****SPAM*****
Reason Given: [BADCHARSET] Unknown charset

Googling around, I found the admonition on the wiki about chrooted
environments:

http://wiki.dovecot.fi/moin.cgi/QuestionsAndAnswers#head-
e146cada4e103a4a93a736998c64f23b1a8cd312

so I disabled all chroot directives in my config and ran as root,
just to see if that was the error. No luck.

When running configure with "./configure --with-mysql --with-
storages=maildir --with-ssl=openssl", I noticed that I got this error
regarding iconv:

checking for iconv... no, consider installing GNU libiconv

Oddly enough, I do have libiconv-1.9.2 installed in /usr/local:

/usr/local/lib/libiconv.a
/usr/local/lib/libiconv.so@ -> libiconv.so.3
/usr/local/lib/libiconv.so.3
/usr/local/include/iconv.h

and an iconv -l shows support for the charset in question.

I tried adding the prefix directive to configure:

./configure --with-mysql --with-storages=maildir --with-ssl=openssl --
with-libiconv-prefix=/usr/local

and got the same message.

I presume that 53 picked up iconv headers and libraries from
LD_LIBRARY_PATH, and now 73 isn't getting it even set explicitly -- I
see some ChangeLog entries for iconv files in dovecot source in May,
but nothing more.

How can I verify that dovecot compiled with libiconv support? Anyone
else see the same thing?

Thanks,

Sean