[Dovecot] pop3 retr error

Marten Lehmann lehmann at cnm.de
Sun Jun 26 19:54:20 EEST 2005

Hi,

>> Are the other POP3 servers advertising PIPELINING capability? Maybe try
>> if this happen with it removed from Dovecot? (src/pop3/capability.h,
>> rebuild).
>
> Nope. That wasnt it.

thanks for testing it, I didn't had the time to do it yet.
Since we couldn't live with this error, we switched back to qmail-pop3d
for the pop3 service, letting dovecot handle imap only. To check if the
error disappeared in current releases, I downloaded the latest stable
release 20050624. I compiled and installed it, but the error still
remained. Downloading of about 1649 messages stopped after the 843rd
message, again with the message "-ERR Message is deleted"
(src/pop3/commands.c, line 50).

It is really important for us, that this bug is resolved. This shall not
sound like a threat, but we are indead evaluating a migration to Courier
IMAP (although I never liked it very much), but a stable pop3 service is
essential for us. And we don't want to use qmail-pop3d, because it
doesn't log anything.

Regards
Marten