[Dovecot] pop3 retr error

Marten Lehmann lehmann at cnm.de
Mon Jun 27 15:14:51 EEST 2005

Hi,

> To recap:
> I see this too. So far only with thunderbird. Do you Marten see it with
> other clients too ?

I have not installed any other mail-clients, I'm using Mozilla Mail. But
I haven't seen this problem with any other pop3-server.

> The bug is really strange since everything I can log/see about the
> conversion between dovecot and tbird suggests tbird has the bug.
> BUT when I run tbird with other pop3 server it works.

Correct. And if Mozilla tries to download it message is has deleted just
before, I'm asking myself what causes tbird to do it? As we are
currently working with qmail-pop3d, I can't see any different behaviour
of the server regarding retrieval of deleted messages.

> The error triggered is that tbird tries to download an already deleted
> message (infact it just deleted it). And if I restart tbird it will
> start download at the last deleted message (error again).
>
> I think our only hope is Timo or possibly some tbird developer.

I thought pop3 is one of the easiest protocols, but obviously it can
have very strange side-effects. Maybe Timo can compare to Courier-IMAP
(pop3 included), because there is a compile-time option to enable
workarounds for certain client problems.

Regards
Marten