[Dovecot] dovecot problem or not ?

Mircea Hutanu voodookid at gmail.com
Tue Jun 28 15:30:33 EEST 2005

Hi,

I've setup a postfix mailserver with dovecot and postgres database for
virtual domains with virtual users, but I have some problems getting
the accounts to work.
I've used instruction from this tutorial :
http://wiki.dovecot.org/moin.cgi/DovecotPostgresql

I want users to be able to get their email with imap or pop3, but I
didn't manage to solve this problem.

The server makes mbox style user accounts, I can send email to them
but when I try to read emails from virtual accounts I get the
following error :

Jun 28 14:42:52 voodoo dovecot-auth: Login process 10 connected
Jun 28 14:42:52 voodoo dovecot-auth: Login process 10 sent handshake: PID 10491
Jun 28 14:42:58 voodoo dovecot-auth: PGSQL: Performing query: SELECT
password FROM users WHERE userid = 'user at foo.org'
Jun 28 14:42:58 voodoo dovecot-auth: PGSQL: Performing query: SELECT
'/home/'||home AS home, uid, gid FROM users WHERE userid =
'user at foo.org'
Jun 28 14:42:58 voodoo pop3(user at foo.org): mbox: Can't create root
IMAP folder /home/foo.org/mails/user/mail: Permission denied
Jun 28 14:42:58 voodoo pop3(user at foo.org): Failed to create storage
with data: mbox:/home/virtual/foo.org/mails/user
Jun 28 14:42:58 voodoo pop3-login: Login: user at foo.org [127.0.0.1]
Jun 28 14:42:58 voodoo dovecot-auth: Login process 8 disconnected
Jun 28 14:42:58 voodoo dovecot: child 10492 (pop3) returned error 89

The error "
mbox: Can't create root IMAP folder /home/foo.org/mails/user/mail:
Permission denied" appears because, using mbox, the home for virtual
accounts is /home/virtual/foo.org/mails/user, where user is allready
the mbox file, to the sistem can't create the directory structure for
IMAP settings.

What I'm doing wrong ? Did someone else got this problem ?
Thanks !

--
Mircea Hutanu
voodookid at gmail.com