[Dovecot] No 'from' in messages

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Thu Mar 3 19:41:23 EET 2005

On Tue, 2005-03-01 at 20:57 +0100, Remy Zandwijk wrote:
> Procmail is MDA for Sendmail and it delivers mail to Maildir boxes. Email
> clients
> like Eudora, Thunderbird, Outlook and mutt are working OK. When using Outlook
> Express and Pine however, in the message list the 'from' or 'sender' field
> is empty.
> This means users of these programs cannot see who did send the mail to them.
>
> When running Dovecot 0.99 in a early test period, this problem did not occur.

This sounds like the new message address parser behaves differently with
some messages. Pine (and apparently OE) is using FETCH ENVELOPE command
to get the sender, while others fetch and parse the headers themselves.

With a few tests I didn't notice any problems though.. Does that happen
with all emails? Does it matter if you delete dovecot.index.cache file
for the mailbox? Could you look at the ENVELOPE reply if it contains the
sender? (http://dovecot.org/bugreport.html#sniffing)