[Dovecot] hanging imap... and users getting other users' emails!

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Thu Mar 3 20:00:57 EET 2005

On Thu, 2005-03-03 at 09:25 -0800, Josh Burley wrote:
> I've just switched to ldap.
>
> But, when this problem was occurring (don't know if it is still), it was
> set up with userdb = passwd, and passwd = pam. But, our passwd only has
> none of our users in it (I don't really understand the use of this in
> the PAM context).

Um. How was it working at all then, if your users weren't in passwd?
Because that's where Dovecot looked their UID, GID and home directory.
PAM only checks that user's password is correct.

> What mail-settings do you mean?

With passwd there's no such thing. With LDAP it's possible to return a
"mail" field which overrides default_mail_env.

> login_preocess_per_connection is commented out. What is the default?
> I'll change this to "yes" now.

Default is shown in the commented line, so it's yes.