[Dovecot] mbox or maildir?

Brian Read brianr at bjsystems.co.uk
Thu Mar 3 23:24:35 EET 2005

I am using dovecot in an SMEServer (aka e-smith), and recently backed-up
on one system and restored on another system the imap email
directories.  The trouble was that dovecot "guessed" the mail type
wrongly, and I ended up with "empty" ~/Mail directories (did it create
or populate these?), and full, but ignored ~/Maildir directories for
every user.

Could someone point me to the chapter and verse of how (and when)
dovecot decides which type of mail is in use, and how you can change the
decision.  I tried editing /etc/dovecot.conf, but that didn't seem to
make any difference.

Using dovecot 0.99-10 under a Redhat 7.3 base on kernel 2.4.20-18.7

--
Cheers

Brian

http://www.abandonmicrosoft.co.uk