[Dovecot] Mixing mbox and maildir

Tom Alsberg alsbergt at cs.huji.ac.il
Sat Mar 5 10:37:09 EET 2005

Hi there.

I understood that in Dovecot 1.0 it should be possible to mix the usage
of mbox and maildir mailboxes.

I just downloaded, built, and am testing dovecot-stable-20050304.

I'm a bit confused as to the terms of namespaces (haven't read that
part of the RFC yet), but this does not seem related.

Anyway, when I try specifying:

default_mail_env = ~/mail/:INBOX=/var/mail/%u

On login I'm immediately disconnected, seeing something like:

dovecot: IMAP(user): Failed to create storage with data: ~/mail:INBOX=/var/mail/user

in the log file.  This seems more like a bug to me (or maybe something
in permissions I haven't noticed - but I've checked...)

Any way, according to the documentation, it will detect whether
~/mail/ is mbox or maildir - but would that enable having both mbox and
maildir in that directory?

The goal is, to deploy Dovecot 1.0 at some time, while here there are
users who have both maildir and mbox mailboxes (I.E. spool is mbox,
~/mbox is mbox, ~/mail contains some mbox mailboxes for small stuff
that users want to be able to access even using /usr/bin/mail, and some
larger maildir mailboxes (less critical, or high volume - e.g. mailing
lists).  How is that possible?

  Thanks,
  -- Tom

P.S. Thanks again, Timo and rest of developers for this big piece of
code - I maintain Dovecot 0.99 in another place and it's by far the
most useful IMAP server yet.

--
  Tom Alsberg - hacker (being the best description fitting this space)
  Web page:	http://www.cs.huji.ac.il/~alsbergt/