[Dovecot] pop before smtp

F. Even dovecotlists at elitists.org
Sat Mar 5 23:04:18 EET 2005

Johannes Berg wrote:
> On Fr, 2005-03-04 at 05:51 -0600, F. Even wrote:
>
>>I'm using the latest version of dovecot on my FreeBSD 4.x box with
>>OpenPKG to keep other services up to date.  Now...I'm able to get pbsmtp
>>to allow relaying through postfix on this server using UW IMAP, but I
>>would like to get dovecot working with relaying...but pbsmtp is not
>>adding the ip when I uncomment the dovecot section after I authenticate.
>

> I don't know how postfix checks the pbsmtp thing, but IIRC dovecot has
> the ability to write into a database when people log in, so I think
> pop-before-smtp could be done without log parsing. You might want to
> review the mailing list archives (at gmane.org) and possibly you can get
> rid of pbsmtp.

Thanks, but if it does, I haven't found the info.  This is the closest
I've come to finding what you suggest, and it requires a patch to
postfix, which I don't particularly care to do.  Right now I've got it
running under OpenPKG, and don't really want to make the upgrade process
more complicated than my current "openpkg build -Ua > update.sh" then
"sh update.sh".

Frank