[Dovecot] dovecot 0.99 + apple mail.app

Nicholas Riley njriley at uiuc.edu
Tue Mar 8 00:06:11 EET 2005

On Mar 7, 2005, at 3:48 PM, Timo Sirainen wrote:

> I've always had that problem, but I don't know what could be done
> about it. Mail.app simply doesn't read or write anything to the IMAP
> server unless it's specifically told to do something.
> I heard from someone it was working with Courier, but with my Courier
> test server it didn't work. So, apparently it was working with UW-IMAP
> before? Perhaps I'll try it too to see if it does something
> differently..

I just tested this again - I sent mail from Mail.app to two accounts,
one of which is running Courier, and one of which is running dovecot
1.0-stable.  For both accounts, Mail.app chimed to tell me I had new
mail, 1 minute apart (delivery to the dovecot server takes longer
because it runs through fetchmail/procmail/spamassassin).  It was in
the background with my "combined" inbox selected/displayed at the time.

The frequency with which it polls the server seems to be dictated by
the Preferences > General > "Check for new mail:" interval, which I set
to 1 minute for this test.

--
Nicholas Riley <njriley at uiuc.edu>     | 4111 Siebel Center
Department of Computer Science        | 201 N. Goodwin Ave.