[Dovecot] Authentication error after authentication query (for Eudora 5.2 on Mac)

Tim Alberts talberts at msiscales.com
Fri Mar 11 21:55:07 EET 2005

Greetings all, I'm a new user of Dovecot and want to say thanks for the
great software.

I am having a problem at the moment. I run a heterogeneous network with
windows and Mac clients logging into a Fedora Linux 2 box running
sendmail and previously UW-IMAP, but now Dovecot.  I am using strictly
pop3, plain authentication with mbox format.  Every computer in the
network is working fine with this sytem, except 1.  A mac running
Eurdora mail 5.2.  It gives me an Authentication error every time it
tries to get mail.

I telnet into the server and when I skip the AUTH process and just log
in, the server works fine as follows:

[talberts at localhost ~]$ telnet mail.inside.msi 110
Trying 192.168.0.3...
Connected to mail.inside.msi (192.168.0.3).
Escape character is '^]'.
+OK dovecot ready.
user tdazey
+OK
pass ******
+OK Logged in.
quit
+OK Logging out.
Connection closed by foreign host.
[talberts at localhost ~]$

However, when I do the following session:

[talberts at localhost ~]$ telnet mail.inside.msi 110
Trying 192.168.0.3...
Connected to mail.inside.msi (192.168.0.3).
Escape character is '^]'.
+OK dovecot ready.
auth cram_md5
-ERR Unsupported authentication mechanism.
auth login
-ERR Unsupported authentication mechanism.
auth plain
+
user tdazey
-ERR Authentication failed.
user tdazey
+OK
pass ******
+OK Logged in.
quit
+OK Logging out.
Connection closed by foreign host.
[talberts at localhost ~]$

I don't need any authentication except plain.  However, when the client
queries the settings, it fails the login.  I tried this on multiple
accounts with the same results.

What do I do to fix this?