[Dovecot] Is it possible to regenerate the index files?

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Sat Mar 12 22:10:07 EET 2005

On Fri, 2005-03-11 at 12:25 +0100, Joakim Verona wrote:
> Is it possible to regenerate the index files, on other conditions than
> the mbox file being read?
>
> For instance, it would be nice if I could regenerate the index for a
> specific mbox whenever procmail delivers mail to it.
>
> If theres no existing solution, would it be possible to make a small
> script with something like "nc" that could send an imap command to
> dovecot, so that dovecot would rebuild its index for that mbox?
> If so, which imap command triggers an index rebuild?

export MAIL=mbox:/home/user/mail # ie. the default_mail_env expanded
echo "1 status inbox (messages)" | /usr/local/libexec/dovecot/imap

For 1.0-test releases there should pretty soon come Dovecot LDA which
saves the mail and updates the indexes immediately. I have a working
test version of it already..