[Dovecot] Restrict Imap access

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Sat Mar 12 22:26:23 EET 2005

On Fri, 2005-03-11 at 20:08 +0100, Sergiu Zaharia wrote:
> Hello. I need to restrict access to IMAP ports to a few users, so that
> all users can use POP3 and just a few of them will be able to access
> IMAP.
> I use secure connections POP3s and IMAPs. Is it possible?

Since this seems to get asked often enough, I added to wiki:

http://wiki.dovecot.org/VirtualUsers

> Also... When I connect to the Dovecot server using Outlook (IMAPs) I
> get a Warning message,something like:
> "The server you are connectiing to uses a non verified protection
> certificate.
> A chain of certificates ...so on ( I can't translate :) )
> Continue using the server? "
> How can I fix that warning?

It's because you use a self signed certificate. Either create your own
CA and import it to windows, or pay some real CA for a certificate. Web
should be full of HOWTOs on this subject (I don't know any good ones
currently though, would be nice if someone wrote to wiki.dovecot.org
about it too).