[Dovecot] Re: (no subject)

John Peacock jpeacock at rowman.com
Tue Mar 15 19:40:03 EET 2005

Geo Carncross wrote:
> I happen find that to be about as easy as searching for anything else in
> Thunderbird.

That's not a positive affirmation.  I could easily say look for a
message by searching for a Received header that looks like this:

	by pop.bdmedia.net (8.12.3/8.12.3/Debian-6.6) with ESMTP id
	j2FEbTX9013497
	for <dovecot at dovecot.org>; Tue, 15 Mar 2005 14:37:30 GMT

which is just as unique, and just as unsupported by mail clients.

> FWIW: Outlook and Outlook Express can also search Message-IDs. So can
> grep.

Yes, but since Outlook 2003, the Outlook client doesn't even _set_ a
Message-ID at all and it relies on the SMTP or POP server to add one.
And not all SMTP servers set a Message-ID, because you'll find out in
RFC-2822 that Message-ID is an _optional_ field.  There is a very
important difference between "widely supported" and "part of a ratified
standard."

Until such time as Message-ID's are supported by mail clients as a
builtin feature (in the canonical URL form <mid:12345blah at example.com>
probably, see RFC-1111), they will continue to be useless to _me_
personally, and I believe the vast majority of users.  I'm done with
this conversation.

John

--
John Peacock