[Dovecot] Read-only mail folders

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Tue Mar 15 23:14:12 EET 2005

On Tue, 2005-03-15 at 13:18 +0000, Chris Wakelin wrote:
> Of course, I meant "namespace private" (I'd just tried "public" in case
> it made any difference, but I think Dovecot doesn't really support
> shared folders yet).

It's shown to clients that ask for NAMESPACE, so there is some
difference. Dovecot probably will never internally care what about their
difference.

> Something like the following seems to work using the (undocumented?)
> CONTROL= option.

Ah, you found it. :)

> namespace private {
>   separator = /
>   prefix = "#snapshot/"
>   location = maildir:%h/Maildir/.snapshot/nightly.0: \
>     INDEX=/var/indexes/%u:CONTROL=/var/indexes/%u
>   hidden = yes
> }
>
> dovecot-uidlist and temporary files seem to be created in the "CONTROL"
> directory.
>
> Is it a good idea to use "CONTROL=" for NFS-mounted maildirs anyway
> (read-write ones as well) to store these files on the local filesystem?

Well.. Since those are rarely accessed anyway, I don't think it matters
where they're located or if they're deleted/lost once in a while.

Normally the control files shouldn't be lost, dovecot-uidlist
especially.

Dovecot doesn't care if you use mixed NFS/local filesystems.