[Dovecot] Shared maildirs with symlinking

Gauthier Vandemoortele gauthier.v at skynet.be
Sun Mar 20 21:49:57 EET 2005

Hello,

I try to set up a shared maildir with symbolink links, but it doesn't
work.

The main user, from which I would share a mailbox, creates a mailbox
named "Commun" with thunderbird.

I see on the file system from the server that a directory .Commun  is
created in his ~/Maildir/ and that the file ~/Maildir/.subscriptions has
now such an entry. Right.

In ~/Maildir/Commun the permissions are

/cur 700
/new 700
/tmp 700
 .customflags         600
 .imap.index          600
 .imap.index.data     600
 .imap.index.log      600
 .imap.index.tree     600
  dovecot-uidlist     600

and as owner MainUser/users  (I work on a slackware 10, all the
users have by default the group users.)

So, I change all the rights to 770 for directories and 660 for other
files (I don't forget .Commun itself)

Now the other user ; he creates also a folder named "Commun", so that
such an entry exists in .subscriptions.

As admin, I delete his folder ~/Maildir/.Commun, and create a symbolink
link  ~OtherUser/Maildir/.Commun pointing to ~MainUser/Maildir/.Commun

Now MainUser moves a mail in his folder Commun, always with thunderbird
; OtherUser sees now a message in the "same" folder, but he can't read
it. In fact, Thunderbird displays a little icon but without textuel
information, like subject, or so. If OtherUser clicks on it, the mailer
hangs indefinitly.

It's logical, the file created in ~MainUser/Maildir/.Commun has 600 as
permissions.

On the other hand, OtherUser can move or create a file in his folder Commun,
but MainUser does'nt see it, I suppose because his index is not
updated.

I had read in http://wiki.dovecot.org/SharedFolders that :

 It's important to have dovecot-shared file created in the shared maildir
 with the permissions and group ID you want to have access to the
 mailbox. Dovecot uses the same permissions and GID when it creates index
 files, dovecot-uidlist file, new mail files, etc.

With my experience, it seems that Dovecot creates the file regardless
of the permissions of the shared folder.

Can someone say how to resolve that ? I use dovecot-0.99.11

Thanks in advance,
--
Gauthier Vandemoortele <gauthier.vandemoortele at skynet.be>

... Un jeune sur dix qui sait pas lire,
ça en fait neuf sur dix qui lisent des conneries.
	(Brèves de comptoir - J-M Gourio)