[Dovecot] Pine and prefix - LIST command bug?

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Thu Mar 24 23:44:53 EET 2005

On Mon, 2005-03-21 at 13:11 +0000, Chris Wakelin wrote:
> On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 14:38:19 +0200 Timo Sirainen <tss at iki.fi> wrote:
>
> > On 21.3.2005, at 14:09, Chris Wakelin wrote:
> >
> > > Having said that, Pine is still getting confused. This time it's trying
> > > 'LIST "" ~/mail' and getting no results whereas UW-IMAP gives '* LIST
> > > (\NoSelect) "/" ~/mail'.
> >
> > How about if LIST "~/mail/" "" returned ~/mail/ even if the namespace
> > is hidden?
>
> If we're imitating UW-IMAP then LIST "~/mail/" "" should return "~/".

Yes, but I was thinking we could do it a bit more easily by changing the
behavior to be different from UW-IMAP, as long as Pine worked with it. I
don't think the reply above would necessarily be against IMAP spec,
because it would be correct for visible namespaces.

> I guess the second Pine problem is that it tries to make sure the
> "~/mail/" prefix exists and tries to create it if it doesn't. I'm not
> sure whether it has a right to expect this to work.

It does if the first reply returned ~/. That's why I wanted it to make
return ~/mail directly so I wouldn't have to create LIST matching for
namespace prefixes too :)

Did you try if the patch in previous mail happened to work? If not, I
guess I'll have to add that prefix-LISTing code..