[Dovecot] Segfault in imap process

Todd Burroughs todd at hostopia.com
Fri Mar 25 00:51:44 EET 2005

On Fri, 25 Mar 2005, Timo Sirainen wrote:

> On Tue, 2005-03-22 at 19:12 -0500, Todd Burroughs wrote:
>> It's using mbox over NFS and I've configured "mmap_disable = yes".
>>
>> Here's the log messages:
>> dovecot: Mar 22 18:22:23 Error:  19697 IMAP(support): UIDVALIDITY changed (1111532787 -> 1111533642) in mbox file /mailhome/new/s/support/mbox
>
> This is your primary problem. Why is it changing? It sounds like
> Dovecot's index files aren't in NFS, and you're accessing the mbox from
> multiple computers with different index files?

The indexes are on NFS and they are being accessed from the same server.
It is quite possible that several people are trying to access this
mailbox at once.  It should be one person at a time, but I'm sure that
they occasionally do this.

> That alone doesn't break it, but if the first message is expunged with
> non-Dovecot/c-client software, the UIDVALIDITY is lost and Dovecot
> creates a new one. But another Dovecot instance with existing index
> files tries to use the old UIDVALIDITY and so it complains about the
> change.
>
> Is something else than Dovecot expunging the messages, or
> deleting/truncating the mbox entirely?

They are mostly using Dovecot, but some are likely using UW IMAP.

I do have these settings, maybe a mistake:
mbox_very_dirty_syncs = yes
mbox_lazy_writes = yes

> Thanks, fixed in CVS.

Thanks, I'll test it now...