[Dovecot] quota issue POP3

Pasi Sjoholm ptsjohol at cc.jyu.fi
Sat Mar 26 10:46:14 EET 2005

On Thu, 24 Mar 2005, Obantec Support wrote:

> maillog is reporting (username and IP replaced).
> Mar 16 13:20:03 proteus2a pop3-login: Login: username [11.22.33.44]
> Mar 16 13:20:03 proteus2a pop3(username): Error rewriting mbox file
> /var/mail/username: Disk quota exceeded
> Mar 16 13:20:03 proteus2a pop3(username): write() failed with mbox file
> /var/mail/username: Disk quota exceeded
> i am assuming this is when pop3 login is trying to re-write file back when
> deleting emails.

You should define location of the dovecot's index-files to
default_mail_env-setting on your dovecot's config file.

Something like this:

INDEX=/usr/local/var/dovecotindex/%n

It's important that index-files are not on the filesystem which has quota
enabled. 0.99.x uses index-directories for temp-files as defined in
mail-index-util.c

--cut--
int mail_index_create_temp_file(struct mail_index *index, const char
**path)
{
        int fd;

        /* use ".temp.host.pid" as temporary file name. unlink() it first,
           just to be sure it's not symlinked somewhere for some reason..
           FIXME: this function should rather be removed entirely. With
           in-memory indexes index->dir is NULL, so we fallback to /tmp
           so that mbox rewriting doesn't crash. */
        *path = t_strconcat(index->dir != NULL ? index->dir : "/tmp",
                            "/.temp.", my_hostname, ".", my_pid, NULL);
--cuit--

--
Pasi Sjöholm