[Dovecot] Assertion failed in dovecot 0.99.14

Todd Burroughs todd at hostopia.com
Mon May 2 23:55:49 EEST 2005

On Mon, 2 May 2005, Quadriplegic Leprechaun wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am using the dovecot imap server on Linux 2.6.8.1.
>
> I get the following error when running it:
> imap(quad): Panic: file index-sync.c: line 25 (index_storage_sync_size):
> assertion failed: (messages > ibox->synced_messages_count)
>
> This usually occurs when I use imapfilter to move messages from one folder to
> another, while my client (thunderbird) is connected.

You should include a backtrace with this report, as this will show what
is happening in the code.

In order to do this, you need to enable core dumps.
This works for me:
Set this in the config: "mail_drop_priv_before_exec = yes"
Start dovecot like this:  "ulimit -c unlimited ; /path/to/dovecot"

Now, when you get this error, you should have a core file in the users
home directory.

Run gdb like this:
"gdb /path/too/program_that_crashed /path/to/core"
Within gdb, type "bt full"

You should get something with function names, variables, etc. listed.
If you are using a precompiled rpm, it may have debugging turned off.
In this case, there's not much (as in none) useful information.

Todd