[Dovecot] Test68 and Namespaces

Jim Summers jsummers at cs.ou.edu
Tue May 3 16:47:49 EEST 2005

Hello List,

I am in the process of building a new mail system here.  I am hoping to
eventually migrate my users from mbox storage to maildir.  They have
been using mbox forever and would rather get used to maildir slowly.

So I have come upon the idea of using namespaces to provide the
different mailstores.   Since this isn't available in the current
stable, or at least I could not figure out how to do it, I have been
working with 1.0-test68 since it provides the ability to configure
things with the namespaces.

But I am seeing an error pop up in my maillog file when exiting the
client,  it is:
May  3 08:11:41 tbox dovecot: IMAP(sub4000): file mbox-sync.c: line 1371
(mbox_sync_do): assertion failed: (sync_ctx->mbox->mbox_sync_dirty)
May  3 08:11:41 tbox dovecot: child 12717 (imap) killed with signal 6

Wasn't sure if it is a code bug or if it is how I have the namespace
entries setup.  In my dovecot.conf file I have:
------------------------------------
namespace private {
   separator = /
   inbox = yes
#  prefix = "#mbox/"
   location = mbox:~/Mail/:INBOX=/var/mail/%u
}
namespace private {
   separator = /
   prefix = md/
   location = maildir:~/Maildir
}
namespace private {
   separator = /
   prefix = mail/
   hidden = yes
}
namespace private {
   separator = /
   prefix = ~/mail/
   hidden = yes
}
namespace private {
   separator = /
   prefix = ~%u/mail/
   hidden = yes
}
------------------------------------

All seems to work except the message showing up in the logs.

My goal/setup is to provide:

1. mbox delivery in the mailspool(/var/mail) from sendmail
2. access to existing ~/Mail/  mbox storage.
3. ability to begin setting up / migrating to maildir in ~/Maildir

Is my namespace config above overkill / borken / wrong?

Ideas / suggestions on this would be greatly appreciated.

Environment:

Server to be:  RedHat AS EL4
Clients:  Thunderbird, Evolution, mutt, pine, mailreader on OS/X.

TIA
--
Jim Summers
School of Computer Science-University of Oklahoma