[Dovecot] Outlook Duplicates issue is still killing me

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Sun May 8 14:46:36 EEST 2005

On Fri, 2005-05-06 at 13:53 -0700, Jeff Ramsey wrote:
> Hi,
>     I have one pop3 client who has three computers, and he has Outlook XP on
> two, and 2003 on the third. They are all set to leave a copy of messages on
> the server, and that causes a duplicate message for every message he gets. I
> then can tell him to uncheck the "leave a copy on the server" box, and pop
> his mail, and the duplicates will go away for two or three days, only to
> start up again. I have a stock Fedora Core 2 server with dovecot and
> Sendmail. I do a nightly yum, so as to stay up2date. My version of dovecot
> is 1.0-test42. Has anyone else seen this issue? What can I do to fix it,
> short of permanently unchecking that box in Outlook? (The user is my boss,
> and he likes to get his email on all three computers...)

test42 is older than I remember :) In any case your problem is fixed
with this setting:

  # POP3 UIDL format to use. You can use following variables:
  #
  #  %v - Mailbox UIDVALIDITY
  #  %u - Mail UID
  #  %m - MD5 sum of the mailbox headers in hex (mbox only)
  #  %f - filename (maildir only)
  #
  # Note that Outlook 2003 seems to have problems with %v.%u format which is
  # Dovecot's default, so if you're building a new server it would be a good
  # idea to change this. %08Xu%08Xv should be pretty fail-safe.
  #pop3_uidl_format = %v.%u

Alternatively if test42 doesn't have the setting and you want to patch
it instead of upgrading, you can use a patch that is for 0.99.x, but
similar fix should work with test42:

http://dovecot.org/patches/outlook-pop3-uidl.diff