[Dovecot] IDLE command timeout

Sim Harbert sim at noisygecko.com
Wed May 11 21:30:43 EEST 2005

It isn't a matter of the client being broken.  My Treo client properly
reconnects when the IDLE command is disconnected due to the timeout, but
this means it has to reconnect every 30 minutes.  I want to avoid the
overhead of reconnecting all the time and just stay connected.  The
reconnections chew up battery life since they involve a lot more
wireless network activity than being in IDLE mode.

The "outlook-idle" workaround doesn't help, since it requires a
reconnect with the server.  Well, maybe it wouldn't require a full
reconnect, so I suppose it might be a tiny bit better than the actual
IDLE disconnect.

I believe the 'mailbox_idle_check_interval' just gives the minimum time
between when the server will notify the client of changes.  If set to 30
seconds, that would mean that if mail came 10 seconds apart, then client
wouldn't be notified of the second email until 30 seconds after the
first.  (This is all just based on the short description in the
configuration file...)

Is there more extensive documentation of the configuration settings
somewhere?  The website doesn't document the configuration options.

-Sim

--
http://www.NoisyGecko.com/

"You said we're headed to war in Iraq -- I don't know why you say that. I hope we're not headed to war in Iraq. I'm the person who gets to decide, not you."
  -- http://DubyaSpeak.com/ -- Discounting the roles of Congress and an inquisitive press in order to look tough in front of a reporter (and avoid answering the question), Crawford, Texas, Dec. 31, 2002