[Dovecot] problem with test69

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Fri May 13 16:21:13 EEST 2005

On Fri, 2005-05-13 at 10:00 +0200, Cor Bosman wrote:
> Hi all, I noticed a problem with test69. I can recreate it with the
> following steps:
>
> - create a folder
> - copy about 200 emails from INBOX to this folder
>
> The copy succeeds, I can see with rawlog that it actually moves the 200 emails
> around. I can see on the spool that there are 200 emails. This is maildir,
> with spool over NFS.
>
> Now I immediately select the new folder. I now see only a part of the emails
> reported. And with rawlog I indeed see something like:

After this, are the missing mails still in new/ directory?

> This I can reproduce with several different clients, but its pretty
> obvious it isnt a client issue. I also reproduced this with different users.

How about manually:

x select inbox
x create testfold1
x copy 1:200 testfold1
x select testfold1

I couldn't reproduce it like that.

> Anyone see this also? NFS issue?

Yes, almost certainly. Although I thought my code handled this
differently in a way that it would have worked. Guess I'll have to
change it.

The problem is that if you're rename()ing files from new/ to cur/ while
readdir()ing through the new/ dir, with NFS some files are skipped.

So, choices would be to either scan/rename through the dir until it's
empty, or to change the rename() happen only after everything is read to
memory. I'll probably do the latter.