[Dovecot] Fedora Core 3 and Mail.app problems

Gordon Turner turner at ftn.net
Sat May 14 03:17:50 EEST 2005

Hello,
first thanks for all the work, I appreciate the attention to security
:-)

I have a performance issue I am trying to solve.  On my new server it
would appear that synchronizing changes between the client and server
is taking longer then my previous setup.  I have recently upgraded from
my old server to a new home (the basis for my comparison),

From:
- Redhat 9.0, uw-imap, using self-signed ssl certificates, on an old
p-II.
- Only one email user (me), about 40 mail folders with a few dozen
messages in each.
- Performance was never an issue, Mail.app took maybe 20 seconds to
sync up minor deletes etc.

To a new home:
- Clean install of Fedora Core 3 on a p4, dovecot-0.99.13-3.FC3.
- Copy of /home/gturner/mail directory to new server, ie existing mbox
format from uw-imap.
- Recreated new self-signed certificates on new server, manually added
the self-signed certificates, connected with no problems.
- Mail.app client, on OS X 10.3.9 (no Tiger yet).

I deleted the account on Mail.app, and created it again, the first
login/sync took a long time, which was expected.

However after that, I noticed that when I first connect or delete a
file the sync is slower then the old setup (FYI, I keep "Automatically
synchronize changed mailboxes" checked on Mail.app).

A result of this appears to be some corruption of some mailboxes, only
one or two, nothing valuable.  For example, I delete a file and then
clear the trash while things are still syncing.  So my current solution
is to be patient. :-)

Any suggestions?

I know that I could covert everything over to maildir, but I would like
some feedback to see if this would be reasonable.

I also noticed that initially there are 3 'gturner imap' threads and
the syncing seems to be flying along.  Then the thread count goes to 5
or 6 and sync starts to crawl.  I looked for a way to limit the number
of spawned threads, but only saw stuff about 'waiting' threads or
reference to 1.0.

I have attached my dovecot.conf for reference.

Any help is greatly appreciated,
Gord Turner.