[Dovecot] (no subject)

Brent Clark bclark at eccotours.dyndns.org
Tue May 17 14:06:25 EEST 2005

Hi all

I just compiled Dovecot v1.0-test70 and i tried using the
dovecot-example.conf for a quick test to see if the daemon would work.

But I keep getting the following error message in me /var/log/messages:

May 17 12:33:46 mail dovecot: Dovecot v1.0-test70 starting up
May 17 12:33:47 mail dovecot: Auth process died too early - shutting down
May 17 12:33:47 mail dovecot: auth(default): No password databases set
May 17 12:33:47 mail dovecot: child 29405 (auth) returned error 89

This is is a section in my conf file.

auth default {

mechanisms = plain
auth_userdb = passwd
auth_passdb = pam
#auth_userdb = passwd
#auth_passdb = pam
#userdb = /etc/passwd
#passdb = /etc/passwd

#  passdb pam {
     # Service name or * as parameter. * means the authenticating
service name
     # is used, eg. pop3 or imap.
     #args = dovecot
#       args= /etc/passwd
#  }

   # /etc/passwd or similar, using getpwnam()
   # In many systems nowadays this uses Name Service Switch, which is
   # configured in /etc/nsswitch.conf.
#  passdb passwd {
#       args= /etc/passwd
#  }

   # /etc/shadow or similiar, using getspnam(). Deprecated by PAM nowadays.
#  passdb shadow {
# args= /etc/shadow
#  }

   # passwd-like file with specified location
   #passdb passwd-file {  #}

   userdb passwd {
   }

   # passwd-like file with specified location
   #userdb passwd-file {
     # Path for passwd-file
     #args =
   #}

    # Path for passwd-file
    #args =
   #}

   # checkpassword executable authentication
   #passdb checkpassword {
     # Path for checkpassword binary
     #args =
   #}

If anyone has some advice or tips, it would greatfully be appreciated.

Kind Regards
Brent Clark