[Dovecot] 1.0-stable loses flag changes sometimes?

Hauke Fath hf at spg.tu-darmstadt.de
Fri May 20 18:43:58 EEST 2005

Am 14.05.2005 um 20:21 Uhr +0300 schrieb Timo Sirainen:
>On Fri, 2005-05-13 at 15:21 +0100, Chris Wakelin wrote:
>>  It seems similar to the 1.0-stable issue, only the spurious FETCH
>>  on demand).
>
>I think the basic idea is this:
>
>- Update the flags for the last message
>   --> because of lazy-writing Dovecot just marks the message dirty
>- New message arrives on the mailbox
>   --> Dovecot re-reads the last message, forgets the dirty state
>- close the mailbox
>   --> Because the dirty state is forgotten, the flag is never written to
>mbox
>
>Fixed in CVS now for both 1.0-test and 1.0-stable.

Well - after updating Dovecot to 1.0-stable of 2005-05-17, I've seen
the following disturbing behaviour:

With Eudora 6.2.1 on MacOS X (one window per mail), I was reading a
mail, when a new mail came in. At the same moment, the window was
closed. Suspecting evil things, I looked into the trash, and there
was the mail I just had been reading - without me even touching the
computer!

I've seen this a second time since then so I'm pretty sure there is a
pattern. I have not seen the botch with a one-month-old -stable
installation.

	hauke

--
/~\  The ASCII Ribbon Campaign                    Hauke Fath
\ /    No HTML/RTF in email	        Institut für Nachrichtentechnik