[Dovecot] Stability

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Tue May 24 00:30:58 EEST 2005

On 20.5.2005, at 22:19, Casey Allen Shobe wrote:

> I am currently using Dovecot 0.99.14-r1 as provided by Gentoo, in a
> Qmail +
> VPopmail configuration.  I am curious as to how to configure it to
> ensure the
> most stability, as it serves >1000 clients.

Well, I think 0.99.x versions are nowadays "predictable" but not
exactly "stable". Usually you see within a few days if they are going
to work in your setup or not.

1.0-stable releases work much better, although they're not as widely
used so there could be some less known bugs lying around. But if you're
using maildir there shouldn't be any problems.

> I would rather disable any
> indexing that give small speed improvements if they are not known to be
> stable.

Usually the indexes rebuild themselves if there are problems. With
0.99.x there are some strange index related problems though, so
disabling them could help a bit I suppose.

Note that disabling indexes with 0.99.x seriously hurts performance
because it wants to open all mails in the maildir (It might be possible
to disable this by setting mail_cache_fields to empty, I'm not sure).
With 1.0-stable the performance with disabled indexes should be pretty
much the same as with Courier and others.

With 1.0-stable I don't think there's any point in disabling indexes.
There are a couple of problems left which occur very rarely and they're
always detected and fixed automatically.