[Dovecot] Assertion Failure in mbox-sync.c

Todd Burroughs todd at hostopia.com
Tue May 24 23:53:40 EEST 2005

On Tue, 24 May 2005, Timo Sirainen wrote:
> On 18.5.2005, at 03:00, Todd Burroughs wrote:
>
> That's a gdb bug (or gcc debug information writer bug or something). 64bit
> numbers seem to be quite often broken with gdb. Usually they can be fixed by
> just discarding the highest 32 bits, but with struct stat the whole st_size
> seems to points to wrong location.

Thanks, the gdb bug is good to know...

> Right, I thought about this too after sending the mail. The caching problem
> could happen only if another computer modified the file, so the test program
> couldn't really trigger it.

I actually ran it on one machine and looked at the output from another.
i.e., 'ls -l' on the empty file, then again just after running the
program, all within a second.  I don't know how the cache refresh timing
works, but it did not cache the old attributes for the minumum of three
seconds.  Probably a good thing.

> But included a patch to Dovecot, it should give some more information now
> instead of just crashing.

Found a small problem with the patch, but I think I've fixed it and we'll
see what happens:

Compile errors:
mbox-sync.c: In function `mbox_sync_handle_eof_updates':
mbox-sync.c:1168: error: structure has no member named `ibox'
mbox-sync.c:1170: error: structure has no member named `ibox'
mbox-sync.c:1174: error: structure has no member named `ibox'
mbox-sync.c:1176: error: structure has no member named `ibox'

+               if (fstat(sync_ctx->ibox->mbox_fd, &st1) < 0)
+                       i_error("fstat(mbox) failed: %m");

I substituted 'mbox' for 'ibox'.  I think that's what you meant?

Todd