[Dovecot] Simply can't figure it out

Tero Ripattila tero at ripattila.com
Tue May 24 23:53:40 EEST 2005

Hello Gaby,

* Gaby vanhegan <gaby at vanhegan.net> [2005-05-24 18:50:34 +0100]:

> Would you recommend that I try running the latest test 1.0-test version
> standalone?

Yep, that's actually what I've been doing for six months now in an production environment and approx. a year in a test one. I can tell that it have worked very well, exluding of course these problems I've had with -test70.

> Is there any way I can increase the level of debug beyond
> that in the dovecot.cont?

You may want to have a look Dovecot's rawlog feature, please see <http://www.dovecot.org/bugreport.html>:
  You can also make Dovecot save the traffic to user's ~/dovecot.rawlog directory. That requires configuring Dovecot --with-rawlog option and creating the ~/dovecot.rawlog directory. All the user's traffic is saved to yyymmdd-hhmiss-pid.in and .out files. The files may also contain * TIMESTAMP lines. They don't actually belong to the traffic, but they're inserted when connection is used again after it has been idle for some time. They're useful for figuring out when something happened with long running connections.

I'd also suggest that you have a look of the available dovecot.conf options too as they're rather useful:
  verbose_ssl = yes

  mail_debug = yes

  auth_verbose = yes
  auth_debug = yes

An in case you need to be able to let Dovecot do core dumps, set
  mail_drop_priv_before_exec = yes

Thanks, Tero

--
Tero Ripattila