[Dovecot] Maildir

Jason P Buscema jpbuse at lambesis.com
Tue May 31 22:51:14 EEST 2005

I've spent most of the morning looking through the archives. Great
information, however, I'm still unable to get my issues figured out. I
believe I am missing something quite simple. From what I have read, I
want to use maildir, mainly because it will allow the use of subfolders
for my clients. My clients are running Mail.app (mostly) on 10.3
clients. I'm planning on using imap and my clients must be able to
create sub folders to organize their email.

I'm running into a couple problems. First, when I send an email to
myself I see in the procmail log that it writes that message to:
   Folder: /Network/Servers/milhouse/Users/jpbuse/Maildir/new/msg.ZAgKB

However, when I send a message to another user on the same server it
writes the message to:
   Folder: /var/mail/someuser

I don't understand why the home directory changed. I don't believe I
have anything custom in my account vs anyone else.

My second issue/question.. how do I get Mail.app and SquirrelMail to
see the email now that is not no longer in ~/mail ?

Home directories are in this format on the server:
/home/users/j/jp/jpbuse

Users are authenticated via LDAP and their home directory actually is:
/Network/Servers/milhouse/Users/jpbuse

I have a symlink that takes care of this and from what I can tell,
works just fine.

Changed the following line in /etc/dovecot.conf:
default_mail_env = maildir:%h

/etc/procmailrc looks like:
#  .procmailrc
PATH=/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/local/bin
MAILDIR=$HOME/Maildir
DEFAULT=$MAILDIR/new
PMDIR=/tmp/procmail
LOGFILE=/var/log/procmail

# Use SpamAssassin
INCLUDERC=/etc/mail/spamassassin/spamassassin-spamc.rc

dovecot-0.99
procmail-3.22
sendmail-8.13