[Dovecot] Vpopmail authentication problem

[Mailclub] Laurent Bauer l.bauer at mailclub.fr
Thu Nov 3 12:26:02 EET 2005

	Hello,

I have a problem setting dovecot-1.0 / vpopmail authentication with
virtual users.

Here is my dovecot.conf (the part related to vpopmail) :

   passdb = vpopmail
   userdb = vpopmail
   default_mail_env = maildir:/home/domains/%d/users/%n

I recompiled dovecot with "verbose" option and keep getting this error :

Nov  3 11:10:58 ***** dovecot: auth(default): vpopmail(lb at mm.fr):
unknown user (lb at mm.fr)

whatever user/domain/password I am testing (including the correct one,
of course)

This is in src/auth/userdb-vpopmail.c line 35 :

         vpw = vauth_getpw(vpop_user, vpop_domain);

According to the makefile, the binary was built with
-L/home/vpopmail/lib and -I/home/vpopmail/include options ("standard"
qmail/vmailmgr/vpopmail installation) so it should be ok ?

I checked the permissions by setting a shell for vpopmail user, then 'su
vpopmail' and read/write the password.cdb file.

What could be wrong ?

Has anybody got a sample config file / dovecot version working with
vpopmail and virtual users, or an idea of what could be wrong in my config ?

Thanks a lot.

	Laurent