[Dovecot] Setup help

Udo Rader udo.rader at bestsolution.at
Sun Nov 6 13:58:03 EET 2005

Am Sonntag, den 06.11.2005, 22:13 +1030 schrieb Patrick Ernst:
> I'd previously had dovecot running on a Debian server but recently
> migrated to Suse. The nice, simple setup for dovecot on debian is not as
> easy using the dovecot sources. My lack of experience I'm afraid! I'd
> like to continue to use dovecot, especially as my current maildir
> directories are all set up ready to be use again.
>
> On suse (sles9) I have users authenticating by LDAP. In /var/log/dovecot
> I am getting errors like
>
> dovecot: Oct 27 22:17:41 Warning: Killed with signal 2
> dovecot: Oct 27 22:28:03 Error: auth(default): LDAP:
> ldap_simple_bind_s() failed (dn uid=dovecot,ou=people,dc=aro,dc=home):
> Protocol error

what protocol version does your ldap server support? I've seen this
error when I used the wrong ldap version in dovecot-ldap.conf:

# LDAP protocol version to use. Likely 2 or 3.
ldap_version = 3

> My LDAP domain base is dc=aro,dc=home. I generally use this as the local
> mail/DNS  domain as well. I have edited both /usr/local/etc/dovecot.conf
> and dovecot-ldap.conf. When I run dovecot it fails to start. I wonder if
> someone, in fairly broad ters could give me the steps for getting
> dovecot running with LDAP authenticated users?

We are doing it exactly this way, here's our configuration:

------CUT------
hosts = artemis.bestsolution.at
dn = uid=the_dovecot_user,ou=daemon_user,dc=bestsolution,dc=at
dnpass = the_top_secret_password
ldap_version = 3
base = dc=bestsolution,dc=at
scope = subtree
user_attrs = uid,homeDirectory,MailMessageStore,,uidNumber,gidNumber
user_filter = (&(objectClass=posixAccount)(accountStatus=active)(|(mail=
%u)(uid=%n)))
pass_attrs = uid,userPassword
pass_filter = (&(objectClass=posixAccount)(|(mail=%u)(uid=%n)))

Currently we are having some problems with dovecot's "POP3 meets ldap"
implementation, but if you don't use POP3, you won't run into these.

happy hacking

Udo Rader

--
BestSolution.at EDV Systemhaus GmbH