[Dovecot] entourage pop to dovecot imap migration

Channing Channing-C at satx.rr.com
Tue Nov 15 17:43:01 EET 2005

wagner <wagner at wagnerone.com>:

> I'm beginning to migrate my years of mail stuck in Entourage 2004
> (MacOSX) to dovecot imap on Fedora FC4. No matter how I have tried I
> cannot get the status flags to migrate. Eg: all the mail, once
> transfered from the pop archive to the imap server looses all Status:
>  and X-Status: flags and ends up being marked "new" on the imap side.
>
> After lots of testing it appears that, while simply having both pop
> and imap configured Entourage and dragging messages from the pop
> config to the imap area does move messages, all flags are lost. This
> also is the case if I export Entourage folders as mbox files and then
>  import them into the imap server with Entourage or Mail.app.
>
> Has anyone else came upon this obstacle? Any advice? I am in the
> process now of gathering information to facilitate my own "migration
> utility". It seems the Entourage DB keeps the read/flagged/replied
> flags for each message in its own internals and doesn't deem it
> worthwhile to export them as part of it's mbox export nor retain them
>  as Status or X-Status flags when moving messages from its pop DB to
> the imap server.
>
> I believe I can write a script to work on a set of found, for
> example, "replied to" messages to add an "X-Status: A" to their
> headers before moving them to the imap server. Same for "read" and
> "flagged" MS DB internals to Status/X-Status headers. With these
> headers added, moving them to the imap server, from my limited
> testing would seem to be the method to keep those status flags per
> message? Does dovecot use those flags or does it have its own means
> of storing that status information? Will it at least use those in the
>  messages to populate its DB if it does have its own method?
>
> Flags I've identified so far:

> Thanks for any insight or suggestions.
> Mike

Mike,

I'm not sure this would work, but something I've observed is that once
I 'view' a message with my client, the message is renamed with a
capitol 'S' at the end.  You could try renaming one of your test
messages in this way to see if that is the effect you are looking for.

     i.e. - 1131486278.15664_2.example.com:2,            would be
renamed to:            1131486278.15664_2.example.com:2,S

Hope this helps,
Channing